The Urban Game
Automatically download and install this map
using the MinecraftEdu Server Launcher. Learn more
You may also manually download the world from here
This is a virtual recreation of the paper-based simulation - The Urban Game. The round information comes from: http://www.thecaveonline.com/APEH/TheUrbanGame.htm.
The simulation has been played with 7th grade Social Studies students. They were split into 2 groups and had to complete each of the Rounds. Assigning roles ahead of time helped the simulation run more efficiently. We chose resource gatherer, canal builder, church builder, general builder, treasure hunter, and tool maker as roles. Others could be substituted. There are several chests hidden in-world that contain pre-made stone, iron, and diamond (just one) tools.
1. How to use maps and other geographic representations, tools, and technologies to acquire, process, and report
information from a spatial perspective.
2. How to use mental maps to organize information about people, places, and environments in a spatial context.
3. How to analyze the spatial organization of people, places, and environments on Earth’s surface.
4. The physical and human characteristics of places.
5. The characteristics, distribution, and migration of human populations on Earth’s surface.
6. The processes, patterns, and functions of human settlement.
7. How human actions modify the physical environment.
8. How physical systems affect human systems.
9. How to apply geography to interpret the past.